We get a lot of mails from people asking us how to set up their iDevices on iTunes. We decided to write this post to guide you through the process.
After you might have hurriedly open the box to see your shinning iDevice, the next thing you are asked to do is to connect to iTunes or to a WiFi connection.
Steps to follow:
- Download the latest iTunes or open iTunes (if already installed on your Laptop or Desktop) and click on Help>>>Scroll down to Check Updates.
- Once you are done with installation/update, switch on your iPad, iPhone, iPod or iShuffle and Swipe to unlock.
- Choose your preferred language by clicking on it.
- Choose you country or region. Again, your iPad will show you the region where you bought your iPad, but you can tap Show more…* for additional options. Tap the blue **Next button to continue.
- Enable or disable location services. (If you want to know more about the Location Services, click the link “What is Location Services”)
- Choose your Wi-Fi network (if available). Enter your network password and tap the blue Next button to continue. If not, Click connect to iTunes. You must ensure you have an active internet connection to proceed with this process.
- Wait for Apple to activate your iPad. This could take a few minutes.
- Choose if you want to setup your iPad as new, restore from iCloud backup or restore from an iTunes backup on a PC (if you have an another iDevice). Tap the blue Next button to continue.
To set up your iPad as new, you need to follow the steps below:
- Choose whether you want to sign in with your Apple ID or create a free Apple ID. If you’re not sure what that is, and don’t know if you already have one, it can be any of the following: iTunes Store account, , me.com email account, Apple developer account, FaceTime or iMessage account
- If this is your first Apple device, click on create an Apple ID and complete the process.
- Once you are done, enter your Apple ID (i.e. your full email address as your username and the password)
- Agree to the terms and conditions of service by tapping the blue Agree button on the bottom left.
- Confirm your agreement by tapping the Agree button again.
- You have the option of using the iCloud to store your photos, videos, apps and the likes. The service is free but you will need a WIFI connection to back up and also limited to the free 5GB (Use wisely)
- You also can track you iDevice if it gets stolen by using the FIND MY iPhone function.
- Choose if you want to automatically send Diagnostics to Apple. It’s anonymous and helps make Apple make better products, but if you’re uncomfortable with the idea, choose Don’t send.
- Depending on your choice i.e. iCloud or iTunes. All you have to do now is wait for the message “Start Using Your iPad/iPhone/iPod”.
Please ensure you connect your iDevice to iTunes at least once in a week. This will backup your data on the pc and can be very useful should something happen to your device.