Why would you want to partition your Windows 8 or 8.1 hard drive
- make full use of disk space
- convenient sorting of different kinds of files and documents and
- ensuring smooth running of your computer .
Instances that might require partitioning your drive.
1. There is only one partition on the hard drive.
For instance, you need to store media files on your hard drive and there’s only one partition on your hard drive, you will have to partition (literally divide) the hard drive into different sizes to suit your needs.
2. A new hard drive (Portable or In-built).
Imagine that you just purchased a new hard drive, There is no doubt that the first thing you need to do is to create several individual partitions. Partitioning in Windows 8 or 8.1 must be easy to achieve with the partition software. That’ll guarantee you the good performance of your computer in the future. Also, for further use, the conversion between FAT32 and NTFS must be completely safe.
No matter for what reason, Windows 8 and 8.1 Disk Management and a third-party free partition manager software can help divide/partition a Windows 8 or 8.1 hard drive without formatting or reinstalling systems.
Partition a hard drive with Windows 8/8.1 Disk Management tool
1. Open Windows 8 or 8.1 Disk Management by pressing “Windows + R” and typing “diskmgmt.msc”. In the pop-up window, right click on C drive and select “Shrink Volume”.
2. In the pop-up window, enter the amount of space to shrink.
3. Click “Shrink” and we can preview a unallocated space behind C drive. Then, right click on it and select “New Simple Volume”. Then, we can partition a new volume in widows 8 or 8.1 by following the guidance.